ABOUT THE MUSEUM
The Latvian Museum of Photography is a department of the Riga Museum of History and Navigation.
The mission of the Latvian Museum of Photography is to promote the achievements of the Latvian photography industry and to be a place that preserves, represents and inspires photography, and a place where any member of the public can acquire knowledge about the history of photography in Latvia from its origins to present day, using the diverse museum’s offer.
Latvian Museum of Photography is the only museum in Riga devoted to photography.
In the 1970s, The Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation found ways to create exhibitions from its rich collection of photographic material, which were devoted to photography itself and were promoting the creation of self-worth of photography in society. The Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation created a special department of photographic history, which later became the basis for the creation of the Latvian Museum of photography.
The need for a museum dedicated specifically to photography industry increased, and in 1987, the Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation started a serious preparatory work for the creation of a museum of photography. On January 19, 1988, the city of Riga granted to the Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation a building in Marstalu Street 8 (except for the first floor) to open a sub-division – the Latvian Museum of Photography. On April 11, 1991, the new museum got its name and official place among other Latvian cultural institutions. On May 18, 1993, the historical exhibition of the Latvian Museum of Photography “Development of Photography in Latvia. 1839 – 1940” by Pēteris Korsaks, researcher of photography, was opened. Vilnis Auziņš was the head of the museum at that time.
The Latvian Museum of Photography is situated in an old merchant building, which is located in one of the oldest building areas of Riga. In the exhibition halls visitors can see the renovated, colourful wall paintings and the historic parquet flooring ornament.
The opening ceremony of the Latvian Museum of Photography on May 18, 1993.
The opening ceremony of the Latvian Museum of Photography. Pēteris Korsaks shaking hands with a photographer Jānis Gleizds.
Vilnis Auzins’s exhibition „Riga – Art Nouveau Metropolis” opening in the Latvian Museum of Photography on January 8, 1997.